Shadwell appeared in the Doomsday book as Scadewelle, and was in the possession of Kirkstall Abbey. Changes in land use and ownership took place during the 16th Century with the dissolution of the monasteries.
Further major changes occurred during the Victorian age when large houses and villas were built in the Village as wealthy industrialists fled the smoke of the city. In 1911, mains sewerage, gas lighting and public transport came to the Village.
Shadwell represents the small rural and historical settlement which was once indicative of much of West Yorkshire. Shadwell has an long history with early Medieval origins. The village originated as an isolated agricultural community which developed into a more gentrified location throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, eventually becoming the commuter location we see today.
Shadwell still retains the feel and character of an independent historic village despite being located on the edge of the urban sprawl of Leeds. The rural setting enables Shadwell to retain the feel of an isolated agricultural village, with keys views into open countryside further emphasising this.
Varied and important architecture including large detached villas, workers terrace rows and historic farm buildings highlight Shadwell as a settlement with a history of gradual and piecemeal development over a long period of time. The fact that farming is not as widely practised within the village as it once was, and suburban development surrounds the historic core, does not detract from the natural feel and rustic character of the conservation area.
History, architecture, the surrounding countryside and the character of space within the conservation area are all positive elements of Shadwell that help to shape its distinctive character, one that is well worthy of protection.
Shadwell Parish website, 2012
Leeds City Council, 2012, Shadwell Conservation Appraisal and Management Plan